Chinese Herbal Medicine
-It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth
in the numberless blades of grass
and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers. -
Chinese Herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years for both healing and maintaining health and well being. Herbal medicine has the capacity to treat the root of one's disease while also addressing the physical, mental, and emotional symptoms that arise. Like acupuncture, the goal of herbal therapy is to bring the body into a state of homeostasis and restore proper energy(qi) function. The Chinese Materia Medica describes thousands of medicinal substances—primarily plants, but also some minerals and animal products. Different parts of plants, such as the leaves, roots, stems, twigs, barks, fruits, peels, flowers, and seeds, are used. In Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs are often combined in formulas that contain between 4-12 herbs. The combination of these medicinals is based on classic, time-tested formulas. Part of the beauty of this medicine is that the formulas are designed in such ways that with each ingredient of the formula enhances or balance the others; they work synergistically. Chinese herbs are classified according to their energetic properties, their effects on specific organ functions, their tropisms for certain areas of the body and their overall functions in the body.
Our initial consultation will involve a thorough discussion of your like- health history and goals. I will feel/listen to your pulses on each wrist, look at your tongue, and palpate your abdomen. This discussion and examination will inform which is the best herbal prescription. Together we will decide which is the best method for taking your formula. After taking the formula for a few days or a week we check in to see how the formula is working. Sometimes formulas require tweaking as symptoms change. Sometimes we change to a new formula as balance is restored.
We have Chinese Herbal Medicine available is five forms:
1. Raw Herbs: a combination of several medicinals that are packed for you. The herbs are decocted at home and taken as a tea.
2. Granules: these are herbs that have been processed and are in powdered form. You need only add hot water and take as a tea.
3. Pill or Capsule: herbs that have been processed and are in capsule or pill form. Take as directed.
4. Tincture: these are herbs that have been extracted in filtered water alcohol. You add drops of the tincture to a glass of water and drink as recommended.
5. External liniments, plasters, and ointments are prescribed to facilitate healing from injuries such as sprains, strains, and broken bones as well as dermatological conditions.
The quality of the herbs is very important to us. We use companies that adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). GMP certified facilities ensure proper substance identification and screen for unsafe levels of fungicides, pesticides, heavy metals, and pollutants. Whenever possible, we use organically-farmed herbs.